Thursday, March 15, 2012

Midterm Documentation

Proposal:

Utilize the tracking features of Adobe After Effects to track motion and objects. In order to test this I planned on using a tracking shot of my drum set and labeling each key element with 3D text. Then I would track this text to the motion of the shot so it appeared to be existing in 3D space.

Storyboard:

still of the original After Effects Workspace
as the camera moves notice how the mid rack tom has shifted in perspective


motion tracked null object parented to the first rack tom

null object attached to the splash cymbal for tracking

project layers, LABELS ARE IMPORTANT!!!!



3D text manipulation










Production Log:
So this procedure was actually a lot more intensive than I expected. I first lit the drum set with two lights in order to try to balance out the light. Then I shot the kit with a side tracking dolly shot. However, the footage was a bit shaky because the dolly was moving on the thick carpet of my floor. So, in order to counteract this I added the warp stabilizer to the shot and it greatly improved the overall stability. Next, I tracked each element I wanted labeled on the kit with the text tracker and null objects. Then, I parented the text I wanted to each null object so it tracked along with the shot. Finally, I adjusted some of the automatic tracks manually and perfected the 3D properties of the text.

Self-Evaluation:
I was rather happy I figured out some of the unknown regions of After Effects because it is a truly powerful program to have under your belt. The most difficult parts of this project really came down to the manual adjustments of each track because of how long it took. However, with the knowledge I now I have, I really believe my Final is a realistic goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment